Vampire Hair Therapy: Before and After Care
Vampire Hair Therapy: What to Do Before and After PRP Treatment
At Smooth Synergy Medical Spa, NYC, we consider you an equal partner in the success of your Platelet-Rich Plasma treatment. In order to achieve optimal results from Vampire Hair Therapy, please review our Pre and Post-Care Instructions for Vampire Hair Therapy:
Two Weeks Before Vampire Hair Therapy
- Refrain from use of excessive or unnecessary blood thinners.
One Week Before
- Use of any Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) including over-the-counter medications like Ibuprofen (Motrin, Aleve) and Aspirin, as well as prescription medications like Naproxen is not recommended, as these medications may interfere with platelet function.
- Use Acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain relief, when necessary.
Three Days Before
- Take a course of Arnica Homeopathic tablets until a day after treatment to decrease the occurrence of bruising.
The Day of Your Vampire Hair Procedure
- Bring a cap to wear home following treatment, as the numbing cream may leave hair greasy.
- You may experience some tenderness, swelling, redness or stinging at the injection site, immediately following injection.
- Comfort Measures:
- Be sure to eat a small meal prior to treatment, since blood is being drawn.
- A topical numbing cream can be applied before treatment.
- If you elect to receive anti-anxiety medicine, such as Xanax, the physician will provide it to you on-site.
- Pro Nox self-administered analgesic is available to reduce pain and anxiety.
- Allow up to two hours for anti-anxiety medication to wear off. Be sure you feel steady on your feet, before engaging in any activity.
- Showering and washing hair are allowed, once medication has worn off.
- Dawn detergent is recommended to remove any numbing cream, which can be greasy.
- Refrain from strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Opt for vegetable-based dye, when dying hair.
- Comfort Measures:
- Acetaminophen may be used for discomfort. Refrain from NSAID’s (see above) for seven days.
- Antihistamines, like Benadryl and Zyrtec, may be used for minor itching.
- For up to 48 hours following treatment, cool packs or ice can relieve minor discomfort and reduce swelling and bruising. Ice for a maximum of 20 minutes per hour. After 48 hours, switch to hot packs.
- Arnica Gel may be used for bruising.
- If extreme swelling or any unforeseen symptoms occur, please contact Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
Post Treatment Expectations
- Immediately following treatment and usually subsiding within 20-60 minutes, swelling occurs where lidocaine is injected in the forehead at two injection sites.
- With the exception of strenuous exercise, you may return to normal activity including after treatment.
- Most side effects from the treatment should not be cause for alarm. Symptoms are usually minor and should subside in time, as a normal part of the healing process. They may be alleviated with simple measures, as described above.
- Immediately following treatment, the treatment area may appear flushed, which usually subsides within several hours.
- Mild tingling, swelling, soreness, and tenderness may occur for up to three days.
- Bruising, particularly at the injection site, may last for several weeks.
- If you are concerned about any aspect of your post-treatment recovery, please call Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
From immediately to two-three months and following a series of Vampire Hair treatments, results can include:
- A decrease in hair shedding,
- New hair growth, and
- Increased hair count
Hair will continue to grow and will look it’s fullest and most robust after a year. Specifically, it will feel healthier, thicker, softer and more manageable at this point.
Men should schedule three appointments a month to six weeks apart. Women should schedule two appointments a month to six weeks apart.
Results are generally long-lasting. Maintenance may be required.