Photofacial IPL Treatments
Photofacial IPL Treatment NYC: Let Light Erase Signs of Aging Like Sunspots and Wrinkles
Are years of sun exposure or general aging turning your face into a road map of skin imperfections? Isn’t it time for a treatment that gets to the root of the problem? Get set for IPL Photorejuvenation (IPL Photofacial or Fotofacial) — a proven non-invasive treatment that harnesses the power of intense pulsed light (IPL) to target the most stubborn of skin conditions — skin pigmentation, red blemishes, broken blood vessels, brown spots, rosacea redness and fine lines and wrinkles. Welcome to a bright and clear new you, New York City! It’s possible with Photofacial skin rejuvenation!
Benefits of IPL Photofacial
- Quick and noninvasive
- Targets skin imperfections at deeper levels of the skin
- Boosts collagen production
- Evens out skin tone and texture
- Diminishes fine lines and wrinkles
- Reveals glowing, healthy skin
An IPL Photofacial (Photorejuvenation Facial) uses high-intensity bursts of broad spectrum light at multiple layers of the skin to repair and rejuvenate the skin. It boasts a superior ability to reach the dermal layer of the skin, making it ideal for causing collagen and blood vessels to constrict, regroup and regenerate at the deeper layers of the skin. As a result, it has a proven ability to target all kinds of stubborn skin imperfections at their source, including: sun spots, broken capillaries and wrinkles.
IPL Photofacial is the preferred treatment to improve color and texture for blotchy, sun-damaged, and discolored skin. Photofacial results in a more even skin tone and texture. Photofacial benefits include:
- Reversing sun damage (photoaging)
- Reducing pore size (large pores)
- Restoring balance to acne-prone skin
- Minimizing hyperpigmentation (skin pigmentation)
- Diminishing the appearance of sunspots, freckles, age spots, brown or dark marks, and melasma
- Removing vascular lesions, including broken capillaries, blood vessels, and spider veins (telangiectasia)
- Improving appearance of acne scars or scarring caused by trauma or burns
- Diminishing facial redness and flushing (Rosacea)
- Promoting collagen and elastin production
- Diminishing fine lines and wrinkles
- Tightening and lifting skin
- Restoring volume loss
IPL has a superior ability to reach the dermal layer of the skin, which is where a network of collagen and elastin fibers work to create a sturdy scaffold for the face. As we age, this layer and network gets thinner and weakens, which results in skin sagging and deep folds and wrinkles on the face. By encouraging collagen regrouping and growth, IPL can work to reverse this process. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) will work to erase the signs of aging from the face, neck, chest and hands.
The simple answer is yes. However, it’s important to note that IPL Photofacial for hyperpigmentation, like freckles, sunspots and age spots, works more rapidly than IPL for Rosacea redness. Basically, pigmented lesions, like age spots, are different from vascular conditions like Rosacea. For pigmented lesions, the IPL energy penetrates the skin to reach unwanted melanin. The pigment is broken down into small particles by the heat and removed from the body. On the other hand, Rosacea is a condition in which the capillaries are prone to flushing. The flushing is caused by triggers (everyone has a different set of triggers). So just as IPL will help manage skin redness, it’s important that people with Rosacea work to keep their triggers under control, as well, in order to diminish facial redness.
An IPL treatment is actually quite simple. IPL Photofacial sessions can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, depending on the treatment area. To prepare for the treatment, you will be given eyewear to protect your eyes from the emission of light. A cooling gel is applied to the area that’s being treated. A series of pulses of light are briefly applied to the target area with a handheld device. Following the procedure, any unwanted pigment either darkens and flakes off or is absorbed by the lymphatic system.
Most patients consider the treatment to be easily tolerate and describe the pulses as a warming sensation or like a light snap from a rubber band. As with any procedure, pain tolerances are individual. However, most people report that any discomfort they experience is worth the results they receive from Photorejuvenation therapy.
The treatment is generally considered safe. After a Photofacial, redness swelling or bruising may temporarily occur. Any Photorejuvenation side effects usually dissipate within several hours to a week. The slight risk of burns (one of the rare dangers of IPL) is diminished when performed with maximum safety and efficacy by a licensed and experienced practitioner, like a skincare professional at Smooth Synergy.
Photofacial IPL is a completely noninvasive procedure, which means that you can return to normal activity immediately following treatment. To maintain calm skin, it’s recommended that strenuous exercise be avoided for 24 hours. Underlying dark spots or sunspots that were previously under the skin and not visible, may come to the surface and will scab off.
There’s an immediate collagen benefit from the treatment that results in a more even skin tone and smoother skin. However, the recommended number of treatments depends on the area being targeted and the severity of the problem. A typical treatment plan includes four to six sessions, which is usually necessary to reverse photoaging and repair damaged skin.
The photofacial cost depends on the skin condition treated, as well as the desired outcome for your skin. While one session is a great way to clear up acne blemishes or restore a general glow to the skin, if you are targeting a specific skincare concern, we recommend a series of treatments for best results.
Sun protection is important at all time, and this is particularly true after IPL Photofacial treatment. A Photofacial session makes the skin more sensitive to the harmful rays of the sun with the potential of reversing the benefits of the treatment. A sunburn runs the risk of leading to additional hyperpigmentation. We recommend that you apply sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher for up to 30 days following IPL.
Dark Skin contains more pigment or melanin, which makes it more prone to permanent hyper or hypopigmentation. Generally speaking, we recommend IPL for lighter skin types, including 1-3 and possibly light 4 (Scandinavian to Light Olive), on the Fitzpatrick scale.
Both Photofacials and Lasers take advantage of the healing wavelengths in light. The difference is in the range of the wavelengths. While IPL uses multiple wavelengths of high intensity light, lasers use a more targeted and focused spectrum of high-intensity light. The advantage of a broad-spectrum treatment, like IPL, is that it can be specifically filtered to target several skin conditions.
Our Manhattan spa offers the best photo facial in New York, and it’s just one of the many skin rejuvenation treatments offered at Smooth Synergy Medical Spa. To find out whether an IPL Photofacial or another treatment from our comprehensive menu is right for you, call 212-397-0111 to schedule an appointment with an Expert in Beauty. Get ready for your closeup, NYC!
- IPL takes anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, depending on the treatment area.
- High-intensity bursts of broad spectrum light reach multiple layers of the skin.
- Has a superior ability to reach the dermal layer of the skin.
- Reaches the network of collagen and elastin fibers that work to create a sturdy structure for the face.
- Causes collagen and blood vessels to constrict, regroup and regenerate.
- Targets all kinds of skin imperfections at their source.
- Noticeable, instant results including healthy, glowing skin.
- A series of 4-6 sessions will usually reverse photoaging and repair damaged skin.
Can we send your inbox some beauty?
Be the first to get beauty tips, the latest updates, and exclusive content straight to your email inbox.
Request Your Consultation Today
What Sets Smooth Synergy Apart?
- Established in 2002, as one the first Medical Spas in NYC
- Cutting-edge cosmetic services
- Creators of beauty treatments like the Fanny Facial
- True synergy including layering skincare modalities
- Respect for your individual skincare goals (no judgments)
- Experienced, licensed estheticians
- Medical Director, Dr. George, on site, ready to meet your skincare needs
- Real solutions and superior results