Sclerotherapy: Before and After Care for Leg Veins
Sclerotherapy: What to Know Before and After Leg Vein Treatment
At Smooth Synergy Medical Spa, NYC, we consider you an equal partner in the success of your treatment. In order to achieve optimal Sclerotherapy results, please review our Pre and Post-Care Instructions for Leg Veins:
Pre-Care for Sclerotherapy
Two Weeks Before
- Refrain from use of excessive or unnecessary blood thinners.
Three Days Before
- Avoid exfoliating agents like Retin-A, alpha or beta hydroxy acids, toners or any harsh or irritating product on the treatment area.
- Discontinue electrolysis, waxing, threading, tweezing, plucking and chemical epilation in the treatment area.
- Avoid Vitamin E (includes a multivitamin) and Fish Oil.
- Avoid Ibuprofen or Aspirin. Acetaminophen or Aleve for pain may be used instead, when necessary.
- Take a course of Arnica Homeopathic tablets until a day after treatment to decrease the occurrence of bruising.
- Avoid alcohol or nicotine.
The Day of Your Session
- Before arriving for your appointment, wash entire treatment area with antibacterial soap.
- Do not shave treatment area.
- Refrain from applying any product to treatment area post-shower/bath.
- Arrive at your appointment with thigh-high compression stockings (NOTE: pharmacy strength not required, may be generic or nursing strength).
- During treatment, a topical anesthetic may be indicated to maximize your comfort.
- You may experience some tenderness, swelling, redness or stinging at the injection site, immediately following injection.
- A topical anesthetic may be indicated to maximize your comfort.
Post-Care for Sclerotherapy
- In order to encourage blood flow and keep treated vessels flat, you may elect to wear thigh-high compression stockings as much possible one week after treatment. May be worn for 24 hours a day.
- During the second week after treatment, stockings can be worn during the day.
- After this time, you may elect to continue use of stockings for up to six hours a day, particularly if you are pregnant or have a family history of leg veins.
- Keep legs elevated as much as possible for up to a month after treatment.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 1-2 days after injection. However, a daily 30-60 minute walk is recommended to encourage blood flow in the legs.
- Avoid saunas, hot tubs or extreme temperatures for 24 hours.
- Avoid alcohol and nicotine for two days.
- Refrain from tanning or prolonged sun exposure until healing process is complete. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or greater to avoid incidental sun exposure.
- Avoid blood thinners, including Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Fish Oil, Vitamin E and for 3-4 days.
- Comfort Measures:
- Acetaminophen or Aleve are appropriate for swelling or discomfort, if needed.
- Antihistamines, like Benadryl and Zyrtec, may be used for minor itching.
- For up to 48 hours following treatment, cool packs or ice can relieve minor discomfort and reduce swelling and bruising. Ice for a maximum of 20 minutes per hour. After 48 hours, switch to hot packs.
- Arnica Gel may be used for bruising.
- If extreme swelling or any unforeseen symptoms occur, please contact Smooth Synergy.
- With the exception of strenuous exercise, you may return to normal activity immediately following injection.
- Most side effects from the treatment should not be cause for alarm. Symptoms are usually minor and should subside in time, as a normal part of the healing process. They may be alleviated with simple measures, as described above.
- Itching, burning, hive-like bumps and redness may occur, particularly around the injection site for up to two days.
- It is normal to experience mild tenderness, swelling, bruising for up to a week, particularly around the injection site.
- Muscle cramping may occur temporarily.
- Treated veins may temporarily appear purple, darker red or brown, which will resolve when healed.
- A superficial accumulation of trapped blood can result in a firm lump that may appear purplish in color, typically two weeks after treatment. While not dangerous, please call Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111 to make an appointment to have it evaluated.
- See a doctor as soon as possible, if you experience a sudden and/or pronounced increase in pain, blistering, redness or swelling.
- If you are concerned about any aspect of your post-treatment recovery, please call Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
Sclerotherapy boasts an impressive 60-80% success rate at permanently getting rid of unwanted varicose and spider veins. After Sclerotherapy, veins tend to fade in a few weeks to six months. Additional Sclerotherapy treatments may be needed, depending on the severity, size and number of veins. Larger veins may take three to four months to fade. Once a vein is treated, it generally won’t return. However, veins may appear in new areas of the lower body. More than likely, maintenance will be required due to new vein growth. It’s best to speak with a provider about your specific healthcare needs.
Can we send your inbox some beauty?
Be the first to get beauty tips, the latest updates, and exclusive content straight to your email inbox.
What Sets Smooth Synergy Apart?
- Established in 2002, as one the first Medical Spas in NYC
- Cutting-edge cosmetic services
- Creators of beauty treatments like the Fanny Facial
- True synergy including layering skincare modalities
- Respect for your individual skincare goals (no judgments)
- Experienced, licensed estheticians
- Medical Director, Dr. George, on site, ready to meet your skincare needs
- Real solutions and superior results