Laser Hair Removal: Before and After Care
Laser Hair Removal: What to Know Before and After Laser Treatment
At Smooth Synergy Medical Spa, NYC, we consider you an equal partner in the success of your treatment. In order to achieve optimal Laser Hair Removal results, please review our Pre and Post-Care Instructions for Laser Hair Removal:
Before Scheduling Laser Hair Removal
- Accutane treatment must be completed six months prior to Laser Hair Removal.
Two Weeks Before Laser Hair Removal
- Refrain from tanning or prolonged sun exposure.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen on the treatment area to avoid incidental sun exposure.
- Avoid sunless tanning products or spray tanning.
- Refrain from any sun-sensitive antiobiotics.
- Avoid exfoliating agents like Retin-A, alpha or beta hydroxy acids, toners or any irritating creams on the treatment area.
- Avoid Botox or other cosmetic injectables, as well as dermal fillers chemical peels and laser procedures on the treatment area.
- Discontinue electrolysis, waxing, threading, tweezing, plucking and chemical depilation in the treatment area.
The Day of Your Session
- Arrive at the appointment clean shaven in and around the treatment area.
- Refrain from applying any perfumes, deodorant, creams or makeup to the treatment area.
Post-Care for Laser Hair Removal
- Showering and cleansing the treatment area are allowed immediately following the procedure. Gentle cleansers are advised. Refrain from using loofahs, abrasive scrubs, exfoliating agents and irritating creams on the treatment area for up to five days.
- Avoid hot water, saunas and jacuzzis for three days.
- Avoid touching, picking or rubbing the treatment area for up to five days.
- Avoid strenuous exercise or activity for up to five days.
- Refrain from tanning or prolonged sun exposure for two weeks after the procedure. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen for up to two weeks to avoid incidental sun exposure.
- Refrain from electrolysis, waxing, threading, tweezing, plucking and chemical epilation in the treatment area between sessions.
- After the treatment area has healed and between sessions, shaving is encouraged.
- Comfort Measures
- Ibuprofen, acetaminophen or Aleve are indicated for swelling or discomfort.
- Antihistamines, like Benadryl and Zyrtec, may be used for minor itching.
- Cold packs or ice can relieve minor discomfort and reduce swelling. Ice for a maximum of 20 minutes per hour
- A topical cream, like hydrocortisone, is indicated for scabs or if the skin crusts over.
- You may return to normal activity immediately following your procedure.
- Most side effects from the treatment should not be cause for alarm. Symptoms are usually minor and should subside in time, as a normal part of the healing process. They may be alleviated with simple over-the-counter measures, as described above.
- Immediately following treatment, your skin may appear flushed, which usually subsides within several hours.
- A burnt smell usually accompanies laser hair removal and will subside quickly after a session.
- Swelling around the hair follicles may occur for about an hour.
- Mild discomfort, similar to a sunburn, is not uncommon. This generally subsides within an hour.
- Crusting or scabbing of they treatment area may occur, but is uncommon.
- Infection and blistering are extremely rare. If these symptoms occur, contact Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
- If you experience hypo or hyperpigmentation, a histamine reaction or prolonged swelling or redness, contact Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
- If you are concerned about any aspect of your post-treatment recovery, please call Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
Laser Hair Removal Results
- After treatment, hair will actually appear to grow for seven to 14 days. This is not new hair growth, but, rather, the follicle shedding unwanted hair.
- On average, each treatment brings about a 30% reduction of hair in the treatment area.
- A series of sessions will need to be scheduled to complete a full course of treatment. Time between sessions varies as follows:
- Face: Four weeks between sessions
- Torso: Six weeks between sessions
- Below the Waist: Eight weeks between sessions.
- Schedule must be maintained for optimal results.
Can we send your inbox some beauty?
Be the first to get beauty tips, the latest updates, and exclusive content straight to your email inbox.
Request Your Consultation Today
What Sets Smooth Synergy Apart?
- Established in 2002, as one the first Medical Spas in NYC
- Cutting-edge cosmetic services
- Creators of beauty treatments like the Fanny Facial
- True synergy including layering skincare modalities
- Respect for your individual skincare goals (no judgments)
- Experienced, licensed estheticians
- Medical Director, Dr. George, on site, ready to meet your skincare needs
- Real solutions and superior results