Hydro / Hydrafacial vs Microneedling? What’s the Difference?
We’ve seen an uptick in people asking, “Which is better: Hydrafacial or Microneedling?” It’s a great question! After all, at first blush, the two treatments seem similar. But there’s a distinct difference between the Hydrafacial and Microneedling — both in terms of how they’re performed and the skincare results they achieve. Find out which is best for you in our Hydro / Hydrafacial vs Microneedling Guide.
Hydafacial vs Microneedling: How are They Similar?
Before we get to how Hydrafacial and Microneedling are different, let’s talk about their similarities. Both are renowned for infusing fully-customizable, skin-rejuvenating ingredients under the skin. As a result, they both work to:
- increase cellular turnover,
- encourage blood flow to the face and
- improve overall skin health.
Specifically, they can both combat a variety of skin imperfections, particularly when performed in a series. These include working to:
- Fade hyperpigmentation, including age spots and dark marks
- Even out skin tone and texture
- Diminish pore size
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Brighten the skin
- Impart a radiant glow to skin
What Is Microneedling? How Does it Work?
Microneedling is a simple, 30-60 minute procedure. During a session, your aesthetician will pass a dermapen device called Rejuvapen over the skin. Specifically, this tool holds super fine needles that make microinjury to the skin at predefined depths, spacing and frequency. As the injury is healed, the skin is rejuvenated. Additionally, we can customize treatment to deliver skin-restoring ingredients under the skin including:
Microneedling with Hyaluronic Acid (HA)
HA is a naturally-occurring molecule in the skin that deeply hydrates and restores the skin.
Microneedling with Meso Vitamins
Antioxidant-rich vitamins B, C and E protect the cells from free-radicals and environmental, oxidative stress.
Microneedling with PRP (Vampire Facial)
The platelet-rich-plasma (PRP) in your own blood is used to heal the skin, promote collagen production and increase cellular turnover.
Want In-Depth Info on Microneedling? —> Read More
What is the Hydrafacial? How Does it Work?
The Hydrofacial (aka Hydrodermabrasion ) is also a simple treatment that takes around 30-60 minutes with little-to-no downtime. It’s touted as a “super facial”, because of its superior ability to gently resurface the skin through a multi-step process:
CLEANSE + PEEL
Uncover a fresh layer of skin with completely non-abrasive, liquid exfoliation.
EXTRACT + HYDRATE
Remove debris from pores with pain-free suction, while simultaneously infusing the skin with a cocktail of personalized serums.
FUSE + PROTECT
Saturate the skin’s surface with customizable solutions to repair the skin and maximize your glow.
Each session includes a completely customizable cocktail of serums that are delivered under the skin. As an example, serums can include antioxidants, acids and peptides.
Want In-Depth Info on the Hydrafacial? —> Read More
Which is Better? Hydrafacial or Microneedling?
When discussing the pros and cons of Hydrafacial vs. Microneedling, it’s essential to know that Microneedling is a deeper treatment than the Hydrofacial. Therefore, aftercare, side effects and skincare results will be different for each. Let’s drill down further:
Hydrafacial Pros and Cons
- Easily-tolerated treatment with minimal side effects and no downtime.
- Indicated for most skin types, including sensitive skin and rosacea.
- An ideal pre-event treatment for immediate glowing, makeup-ready skin.
- Extremely hydrating for dull, dry skin.
- Indicated for more superficial skincare concerns than Microneedling.
Microneedling Pros and Cons
- Adjustable needle-depth means needles can reach deeper layers of the skin than the Hydrofacial.
- As a result, the treatment creates more injury to the skin, in order to induce collagen-production.
- Promotes a stronger process of skin repair under the skin than the Hydrafacial.
- Ideal to thicken and firm the skin, as well as reverse skin aging and sagging. This is particularly true, when used in a series.
- A go-to treatment to reverse textural changes to the skin, particularly when used in a series. These include acne scars, general scars and/or burns.
- While Microneedling downtime and post-care is still minimal, the Hydrofacial is considered the gentler of the two treatments. (This also explains why Hydrofacial results are more superficial).
- With Microneedling, skin can appear red and sensitive to touch for several days.
Why Choose Smooth Synergy Medical Spa NYC?
Smooth Synergy Cosmedical Spa is conveniently located in Midtown East Manhattan, New York. We offer a comprehensive menu of treatments, including Microneedling and Hydrofacial. With close to 20 years experience in the MedSpa industry, we have the knowledge to help you decide which one is right for you. Reach out to an Expert in Beauty at 212-397-0111 to discuss your beauty goals.