Kim Kardashian freshens her skin with the Vampire® Facial in her 30’s. Christie Brinkley combats frown lines with Xeomin® in her 60’s. They may be at different stages of their life, but they both look fabulous by taking advantage of the best skincare and beauty treatments for their age. And you can too! Here’s our guide Anti-Aging Skincare Right for Every Age:
Skin in Your 20’s
The 20’s is the decade of prevention, and the time to start investing in our skin for a lifetime. That means establishing a results-oriented skincare regime with the goal of preventing sun damage and combating free radicals. A few tips:
- Use a UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 30 daily.
- Apply an antioxidant-rich moisturizer in the morning to protect against free radical damage caused by UV exposure and environmental triggers.
- Apply a retinol cream at night to generate collagen production and cellular turnover.
- Get a monthly facial to cleanse, exfoliate and nourish the skin. Facials can also be customized to address individual skincare concerns, including unclogging congested skin, resurfacing blotchy skin or hydrating dry skin.
Skin in Your 30’s
The 30’s is the decade when we begin to notice fine lines and crow’s feet, as well as hyper-pigmentation like sunspots. Frequently, these first signs of aging are due to sun damage. Add the following to the skincare regime recommended in your 20’s:
- The delicate skin of the eye area can’t handle a heavy moisturizer. Invest in a good eye serum to combat early signs of crow’s feet.
- Now’s the time to use Botox® or other injectables to prevent wrinkles and smooth the skin. People in their 30’s often complain of “The Elevens” between the eyes. Botox® offers a quick fix to smooth away wrinkles in this area.
- A Glycolic or TCA Peel will tighten pores, freshen the skin and reduce hyper-pigmentation caused by sun damage.
- Micro-needling stimulates collagen growth, minimizing the appearance of pores and promoting a healthy glow to the skin.
Skin in Your 40’s
The 40’s is the decade when our face typically begins to show visible signs of aging. Lines on the face become deeper and we experience skin laxity for the first time. We begin to lose volume and elasticity in the face, due to a decrease in collagen production and loss of fat, bone and muscle. Our complexion becomes duller, because of decreased cellular turnover. Sun damage contributes to sunspots appearing noticeably darker. In addition to the skincare recommendations for your 20’s and 30’s, consider the following in your 40’s:
- Dermal fillers, such as Juvederm® or Restylane®, act like your body’s own hyaluronic acid, restoring a youthful appearance by filling out superficial folds, restoring volume to the face and improving fine lines and wrinkles.
- Botox® can smooth wrinkles in many areas of the face, including the forehead, crow’s feet, glabellar, as well as on vertical neck bands.
- Ultherapy® is the gold-standard of noninvasive treatments to lift and tighten. Focused ultrasound waves reach deep within the skin to the level where plastic surgeons often go (called the SMAS) to stimulate collagen growth. It’s a great alternative to a facelift, tightening the skin and restoring a youthful look to the face.
Skin in Your 50’s and Beyond
The aging process accelerates at this stage of life, as both women and men experience hormonal changes. Further collagen loss results in thinner skin, taking its toll on the face and other areas of the body as well, including the neck, decollete and hands. Sagging in all areas of the face occurs and the jawline begins to fall. It’s at this point, that deep folds and wrinkles can make our expression appear “fixed”, if they are not taken care of properly. Research shows that older faces are often rated as looking “negative”, due to the impact of the natural aging process. Consider adding the following to the skincare regime recommended for the 20’, 30’s and 40’s:
- Dermal fillers, like Juvederm®, Voluma® or Restylane® Lift, have a thicker profile designed to give areas of the face, like the cheeks, a sturdy structure.
- In addition to the face, Ultherapy® can be used on the neck and decollete, areas that are often neglected in our anti-aging regime.
- The hands also show signs of aging. Fade sun spots with a Photofacial IPL, camouflage protruding veins with Radiesse® and exfoliate skin with Microdermabrasion.
At Smooth Synergy® Cosmedical Spa, we know that a person’s skin is as individual as they are. We also know that we all age differently, depending on genetic, environmental and other factors. While the information above should serve as a guide to get you started on a skincare and beauty regime that’s right for you, we recommend coming in for a consultation with an Expert in Beauty, who will make recommendations for you based on your individual skincare needs. Call us at 212-397-0111 to schedule an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!