Fillers: Before and After Care
Dermal Fillers: What to Know Before and After Cosmetic Filler Treatment
At Smooth Synergy Medical Spa, NYC, we consider you an equal partner in the success of your treatment. In order to achieve optimal filler results, please review our Pre and Post-Care Instructions for Cosmetic Fillers:
Two Weeks Before Dermal Fillers
- Refrain from use of excessive or unnecessary blood thinners.
Three Days Before Dermal Fillers
- Avoid exfoliating agents like Retin-A, alpha or beta hydroxy acids, toners or any irritating creams on the treatment area.
- Discontinue electrolysis, waxing, threading, tweezing, plucking and chemical epilation in the treatment area.
- If you are prone to cold sores, notify the physician, who will prescribe a course of antiviral prophylactic treatment.
- Avoid Vitamin E (includes a multivitamin) and Fish Oil.
- Consider a course of Arnica Homeopathic tablets until a day after treatment to decrease the occurrence of bruising.
- Avoid Ibuprofen or Aspirin.
Day of Dermal Filler Treatment
- Arrive at your appointment with a clean, makeup free face. Makeup wipes will be available, if not possible.
- A topical or local anesthetic / analgesic may be indicated to maximize your comfort.
- You may experience some tenderness or stinging at the injection site, immediately following injection.
Dermal Fillers Aftercare
- Showering and cleansing the skin are allowed following treatment. A gentle cleanser can be used on the treatment area. Apply it to the fingertips with tepid water and use gentle, circular motions on the skin.
- Avoid going to the gym or use of hot tubs / saunas for 24 hours after injection.
- Refrain from applying pressure to the face for up to three days following treatment.
- Comfort Measures:
- Ibuprofen, acetaminophen or Aleve are appropriate for swelling or discomfort, if needed.
- Antihistamines, like Benadryl and Zyrtec, may be used for minor itching.
- For up to 48 hours following treatment, cool packs or ice can relieve minor discomfort and reduce swelling and bruising. Ice for a maximum of 20 minutes per hour. After 48 hours, switch to hot packs.
- Arnica Gel may be used for bruising.
- If tingling, numbness, pain, swelling, redness, blotchiness or bruising exacerbate or any unforeseen symptoms occur, please contact Smooth Synergy immediately at 212-397-0111.
Post Treatment Expectations
- With the exception of strenuous exercise, you may return to normal activity immediately following your procedure.
- Most side effects from the treatment should not be cause for alarm. Symptoms are usually minor and should subside in time, as a normal part of the healing process. They may be alleviated with simple over-the-counter measures, as described above.
- It is normal to experience mild tenderness, swelling and bruising for up to a week, particularly around the injection site.
- Depending on the treatment area, you may feel temporary firmness, which will soften and subside after 1-2 weeks.
- Tingling, numbing or pain should subside within 20 minutes after treatment. If these symptoms continue or worsen, contact Smooth Synergy immediately at 212-397-0111. Although uncommon, the filler may be sitting on a blood vessel, creating an area whose blood supply could be compromised. Treating it quickly will make it easier to manage.
- If you are concerned about any aspect of your post-treatment recovery, please call Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
Cosmetic Filler Results
- Immediately following the procedure, you will notice a more youthful appearance, including additional volume in the treatment area, a filling out of superficial folds, a plumping of the skin and an improvement of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Your skin will continue to transform, as collagen continues to build in the treatment area.
- Dermal fillers last an average of 6-12 months (based on full correction), depending on their formulation. At your appointment, speak with an expert in beauty at Smooth Synergy, who will advice you when to come in for your next appointment to maintain volumizing results.
Can we send your inbox some beauty?
Be the first to get beauty tips, the latest updates, and exclusive content straight to your email inbox.
What Sets Smooth Synergy Apart?
- Established in 2002, as one the first Medical Spas in NYC
- Cutting-edge cosmetic services
- Creators of beauty treatments like the Fanny Facial
- True synergy including layering skincare modalities
- Respect for your individual skincare goals (no judgments)
- Experienced, licensed estheticians
- Medical Director, Dr. George, on site, ready to meet your skincare needs
- Real solutions and superior results