Difference Between Men and Women’s Skin | Nicole Contos Insider Tips
I often get asked if men and women have skin that’s created equal. For the most part, the answer is yes. It’s true that your skincare regime, your lifestyle choices (think sunscreen and diet) and your genes play a bigger part in the health and well being of your skin than if you’re a man or a woman. However, there are some key differences between the sexes. Here’s more:
- Men have thick skin (literally!) Men’s skin is generally 25% thicker than women’s. It’s thought to be due to higher Testosterone levels. What this means is that men can up their exfoliation game relative to women. With thicker skin, they can pretty much exfoliate every day.
- Men have more collagen and elastin. It also diminishes at a slower rate than women, as they age. Sorry, ladies; but what this means is that men are less prone to skin laxity and wrinkles. No fair, right?!
- Men produce more oil on their skin. The secretion of the hormone, Androgen, makes men more prone to oily skin and lifelong issues with acne.
- Men have larger pores. Pore size also contributes to long-lasting acne issues, particularly blackheads and whiteheads.
- Men battle less with hyperpigmentation. Age spots, brown spots and sunspots can be exacerbated by hormonal shifts that men just don’t experience.
- Men have more facial hair. That probably goes without saying. However, what is worth saying is that daily shaving puts an extra quiver in a man’s anti-aging arsenal. While shaving can cause skin irritation on the face (think razor bumps, ingrown hairs and red rashes), its intense exfoliation action can lead to more youthful skin. Quick tip: try a Dermaplaning session to get the same anti-aging advantage!
Of course, it’s also worth noting that skin is as different as each individual. I always recommend coming in for a consultation with an Expert in Beauty at Smooth Synergy to get professional advice about which skincare products and cosmetic treatments are right for your particular skin — whether you’re a man or a woman.
Can We Send Your Inbox Some Beauty?
Like what you just read from Nicole Contos, Founder & CEO of Smooth Synergy Medical Spa in NYC? Be the first to get beauty tips, the latest updates and exclusive content straight to your inbox. Sign up to be a Beauty Insider.