Botox: Before and After Care
Botox | Dysport | Xeomin: What to Expect Before and After Cosmetic Injectable Treatment
At Smooth Synergy Medical Spa, NYC, we consider you an equal partner in the success of your treatment. In order to achieve optimal cosmetic injectable results from Botox, Dysport or Xeomin, please review our Pre and Post-Care Instructions for Cosmetic Injectables
Two Weeks Before Cosmetic Injectable Treatment
- Refrain from use of excessive or unnecessary blood thinners.
Three Days Before Cosmetic Injectable Treatment
- Avoid exfoliating agents like Retin-A, alpha or beta hydroxy acids, toners or any irritating creams on the treatment area.
- Discontinue electrolysis, waxing, threading, tweezing, plucking and chemical epilation in the treatment area.
- If you are prone to cold sores, notify the physician, who will prescribe a course of antiviral prophylactic treatment.
- Avoid Vitamin E (includes a multivitamin) and Fish Oil.
- Consider a course of Arnica Homeopathic tablets until a day after treatment to decrease the occurrence of bruising.
- Avoid Ibuprofen or Aspirin.
Day of Cosmetic Injectable Treatment
- Arrive at your appointment with a clean, makeup free face. Makeup wipes will be available, if not possible.
- A topical anesthetic / local analgesic may be indicated to maximize your comfort.
- You may experience some tenderness, swelling, redness or stinging at the injection site, immediately following injection.
Cosmetic Injectables Aftercare
- Avoid lying down for four hours following treatment.
- If using makeup the day of procedure, mineral makeup is preferable.
- Avoid going to the gym for 24 hours after injection.
- Comfort Measures:
- Ibuprofen, acetaminophen or Aleve are appropriate for swelling or discomfort, if needed.
- Antihistamines, like Benadryl and Zyrtec, may be used for minor itching.
- For up to 48 hours following treatment, cool packs or ice can relieve minor discomfort and reduce swelling and bruising. Ice for a maximum of 20 minutes per hour. After 48 hours, switch to hot packs.
- Arnica Gel may be used for bruising.
- If extreme swelling or any unforeseen symptoms occur, please contact Smooth Synergy.
- With the exception of strenuous exercise, you may return to normal activity immediately following injection.
- Most side effects from the treatment should not be cause for alarm. Symptoms are usually minor and should subside in time, as a normal part of the healing process. They may be alleviated with simple measures, as described above.
- It is normal to experience mild tenderness, swelling, bruising for up to a week, particularly around the injection site.
- Flu-like symptoms or headache have been reported but are uncommon.
- It’s rare to experience drooping of the muscles around the treatment area; however, should this occur, please contact Smooth Synergy immediately at 212-397-0111.
- If you are concerned about any aspect of your post-treatment recovery, please call Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
Cosmetic Injectables Results
- You will begin to see smoothing of lines and wrinkles between 3-7 days after Botox, Dysport or Xeomin injection, although some areas may take effect quicker than others.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment ten days after your procedure, so the doctor can assess treatment results and administer minor touch-ups, as needed.
- To maintain results, it’s recommended that you schedule your next appointment in about three months.